Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Posted by Melissa Costa | File under : ,

Part IV – Ikebukuro BLACK HOLE [2nd Anniversary], 11-8-2011

Line-up:               BUNNEIES / Ap(r)il / Kodomo Dragon / A / Gakido / SCAPEGOAT / LOST ASH

The heat was still scalding the streets of Ikebukuro even though it was late in the afternoon, as I was making my way through the narrow alleys towards the venue called Ikebukuro BLACK HOLE. I knew how to find it as it was the second time I saw a live here. Sadly, it would also be the last.

Today would be the last time I could see A, but even as I entered the venue and watched the first few bands, I didn’t stop to think about this too much. It didn’t feel like a goodbye and I was enjoying myself. The atmosphere in the crowded hall was good and during a break I walked to A’s merchandise-table, checking their goods but buying nothing yet, as their polaroid-pictures were being made right at that moment. I did pick up their leather note-book again which was gradually being filled with more fan-messages, smiling as I skimmed through it before beginning to write my own. Since most had already been said at our last meeting, I thanked them in advance for the live and wished them a lot of good luck, concluding with a kind reminder to come to Europe one day.

When A was about to begin their set I walked to the front again to find a spot, ending up positively surprised on the very first row in front of Rookie Fiddler. Unlike CYBER, BLACK HOLE had a decent iron fence in front of the stage which was convenient to lean on, and would soon serve well when head-banging would ensue.

Once again I felt the atmosphere change once the lights dimmed, and I excitedly watched the stage as the members emerged after their legendary introduction. The space between the stage and the fence wasn’t very wide and the members were now closer than ever, standing with our back to us as they awaited their cue and Nimo also entered the stage. Soon, even this last distance would dissolve as A filled BLACK HOLE with all of their charm.

11/8 Setlist (Taken from Toshi’s blog)

1. 残酷な天使のテーゼ
2. MASQUERADE
3. Rhapsody in black
4. Viva-la-Casta
5. NUDE

They immediately took off hard with their cheery yet heavy cover of Cruel Angel’s Thesis, the iron fence immediately living up to its purpose as the first row all leaned over and banged their heads to the double bass-drums. The members all joined in, setting the pace for the rest of the energetic set as they fluently connected the last heavy chorus to the sultry Spanish tones of MASQUERADE. Here too we were able to use the fence as everyone threw themselves forward simultaneously, the members smiling and directing the wave-like movement as if embracing and soaking up our energy to pour it all back down on us in turn.

I could describe again how brilliant Nimo’s smile was as he sang, how Toshi’s fingers picked skillfully at the strings, how Mucho’s subtle facial expressions expressed so much joy in his play and how Rookie was all over the place with his violin, but I have all said this before. Seeing it in reality though, would never become boring to me. The crowd was fired up and Nimo, Toshi and Rookie leaned closer to the audience every time, playing with one foot on the fence for balance. As much as a delight they were to watch, I still lost myself in the head-banging every time, really damn pleased with the fence. At one point my view had suddenly become restricted though as I wanted to lean back but found myself literally trapped between Rookie’s legs. The fiddler had his foot placed right next to me and for safety measures I held still until he’d step back, also refraining from looking up out of decency… Perhaps he had noticed my sudden rigidness and found it amusing, because before he finally leaned back I received a playful ruffle through my hair. As I leaned back up to fix it, I just caught Rookie grinning widely at me before sprinting to the other side of the stage, switching places with Toshi.

After the intense Rhapsody in Black, BLACK HOLE was filled with the catchy Jazz from Viva la Casta!, the energy and heat finally rising to its highest level as they finished with the ever-gripping NUDE. The whole audience seemed to be captured by the pirate’s charm and everyone wore a smile, jumping and shouting at the stage where the members only mirrored our gratitude. Only once the final notes from Rookie’s fiddle had died and the members had left the stage after thanking us all dearly, I finally took a deep breath. It was over.

The set had finished, but the night was still young and I wanted to see the other bands too, though none excited me as A had done. I took a calm stroll towards the back of the hall where the merchandise-table was now crowded, finally getting in line to buy some final polaroids. I seemed to be in luck, as when it was my turn there were only two left! I slightly hoped for a Rookie or Toshi one but was happy to receive one from Nimo and one of Mucho Gracias as well.

After A, a band called Gakido would play. I had seen them before at another live and found their performance quite amusing, so I stayed to watch. Since the area before the stage had become quite crowded I stayed near the merchandise-tables in the back, where also the backstage-door was located in the side of the hall. I had noticed several people passing through there before but did not pay much attention to them now, as I watched Gakido commence their show. After a little while though, I noticed a person had come to stand at my side, just leaning against one of the tables. I looked aside and saw Rookie Fiddler had joined the crowd, still wearing his silver wig and stage make-up but now clad in simple jeans and an oversized sweater.

He too was concentrated on the stage, bouncing to the music slightly and I smiled to myself before directing my attention back to Gakido. Although we weren’t truly watching the show together, it felt nice to have some company. At one point our gazes crossed and we exchanged a smile before continuing to enjoy the show. Gakido played quite a few upbeat and heavy songs and I joined in the furitsuke when I felt like it, while Rookie held his calm composure that was radically different from his own stage-performance.

During one song’s chorus, all the front rows would join hands and step side to side together. Having done this once before I automatically stepped with them, before I couldn’t resist looking at Rookie to see what he would do. Rookie seemed to be staring at the moving rows in amazement before he too set a clumsy step sideward, though not quite on the rhythm. I had to giggle at his attempt, feeling the urge to join hands with him too just to guide him into the right pace. Rookie grinned back sheepishly as he noticed I was laughing at him, mocking a pout before he just sank his hands down his pockets and returned to simply bouncing to the music. Together we watched the rest of Gakido’s set before Rookie quietly returned back-stage.

SCAPEGOAT and LOST ASH passed in a blur for me as by then I had become quite exhausted from the heat inside the hall, not to mention the exercise on a nearly sober stomach. Once I finally climbed the staircase covered with posters, the fresher night-air was a welcome gift to my lungs. The alley was filled with chatting fans, waiting for their favorite bands to come out. I had not caught a glimpse of A after my encounter with Rookie and wondered if they would have left already. Just as I thought this, I saw Nimo at the end of the alley, while the other members were just rounding the corner.

I could have called his name across the street and ran after him, but as I watched Nimo greet his regular fans as the last ones before walking after his band mates, I did not feel the need anymore. We had already said our goodbyes, and saying them again wouldn’t add anything to this last memorable live I had of them. I watched them walk away without regrets, knowing this was not the last time I would see them. Still I felt some sadness over the fact that I would probably see them only when I would return to Japan, and I did not know when that would be.

I sighed, shaking that feeling and returning to the blissful post-live state before I crossed the street to go up to the regular fans, the same group I had met before my first live. Although we had not really come closer during the other lives, we still greeted each other friendly and then from my heart, I thanked them for helping me out during my stay. Perhaps my perception of Japanese fans and lives would have been very different if it had not been for them, and perhaps I still wouldn’t have paid my full attention to their beloved band, a band I had come to love as well. I told them I hoped we would meet again at one of A’s lives in the future, and so we said our goodbyes. As hostess-bars and host-clubs opened for business in the alleys surrounding BLACK HOLE, I began making my way back. I still had a last live of dolore to look forward to, yet it felt as if I had just closed a certain chapter.

Days later I left Japan and returned to Europe. As a hearty.


NOT THE END

The story continues... With the Absolute Conquest

0 reacties:

Post a Comment